Popular Posts

Monday, September 3, 2012

Learn to Bounce.


“It’s not how fast you run or high you climb, but how well you bounce that leads to achievement”

I have not blogged in some time. I have been heads down with my latest venture and have greatly enjoyed the last 9 months. I was reflecting a bit over the last ten years, which have been the best years of my life. They have not been easy years, but they certainly have been meaningful ones.

When I was young, my father insisted that I play sports – especially team sports. He inherently knew that sports help you adjust to losing and winning. Losing is something we all experience. We need to find courage to learn, dust ourselves off and get back up to try to win. Winning is a moment when we need to demonstrate modesty and acknowledge credit to the team. My father told me, “When you win, look like you have done it before - when you lose, look like you have done that before as well”.  Watching the Olympics this year, we could see everything that is great about competition and all the emotion that comes along with winning & losing.

I have done a lot of reading on start-up success. However, I think the truth is somewhat fuzzy. At the end of the day, the difference between success and failure comes down to human judgment.  Of course, there is market timing, great teams and luck that play a role. But along the way, decisions have to be made based on imperfect information by imperfect human beings. It’s not a roll of the dice at all, but there is a lot of intuition & gut backed up by data points that are at best directionally helpful.  Here is where you bounce…

Every startup will make a change to get it to work. Some changes will lose and some will win. You may have to try a couple times to get it just right. This is not surprising as it is the same with life. You have to work with your kids and adjust to help steer them the right way – same with all your relationships and career choices.  It’s the ability to take an educated bounce that moves things into the win column.

Everyone needs a good butt kicking in life to get it right. Also, victory is that much better having tasted defeat... like the feel of a hot fire after hiking on a cold, cold night.

Happy Labor Day.